Stop Windows 10 Apps From Running in the Background
To see which apps have permission to run in the background
- open the Start menu or Start screen and
- select “Settings.
- Click or tap the “Privacy” icon in the Settings window
- Scroll down to the bottom of the list and select “Background apps
- You’ll see a list of apps that have permission to run in the
background with an “On/Off” toggle.
- The default setting for each app is “On,” allowing each app to run
in the background if it likes.
- Set any apps you don’t want to run in the background to “Off.
Bear in mind that there’s a downside to this.
If you prevent the Alarms app from running in the background, for example,
any alarms you set won’t go off.